Thursday, May 2, 2013

Why I - Let Gatsby Go


     Letting Gatsby go was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I loved him and he made me so happy. I should have known I was being a fool all along but I also had not planned for Gatsby and to get so serious. Unfortunately, back then I could not see a future with him because he wasn’t very rich. Everybody knows that rich girls do not marry poor boys. It was just a fact of life and the sad fact was that I was rich and Gatsby was not so we could not fool ourselves any longer. I could tell he was hurt, but he had to understand that at the time it was what I had to do because it was the best for me. If Gatsby could not support my lifestyle than I simply could not marry him. I needed a rich man to fulfill my expensive taste. Once Gatsby left to join the army, I became restless and itching for the affection he once gave me. So I continued to attend parties with my friends and met eligible bachelors. Once I met a man who passed all the necessary qualities on my checklist I married him to fill the emptiness in my heart, but it turns out that he could only keep me content for so long. I tried to convince myself that I had to leave Gatsby, that I did not have a choice. I knew I was too dependent on others to afford being dependent on Gatsby. Material things do keep me happy it has always been something I need, but I ended up needing Gatsby just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment