Thursday, April 25, 2013

What I Was Feeling - When Gatsby Left


          It is hard to believe that I went through a period of time without Gatsby. Twas a miserable time indeed, but with my luck I was able to manage. Gatsby had let me know that he was going away to join the army and I was not too upset by it. There were always two things I was in love with, which were Gatsby and extravagant luxuries. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Gatsby, he made me happier than a limitless amount of diamonds could, but the problem was he could not afford to buy me any amount of diamonds at all; everybody knows that rich girls do not marry poor boys or else you are setting yourself up for a life of unfulfilled expenses. When Gatsby left I was slightly heartbroken, but I was not willing to waste my life away waiting for anybody. I continued enjoying my life in high society where we partied all the time and everyone laughed at my jokes. I allowed a few men to court me, but none of them could truly make me as happy as Gatsby could. I felt a deep emptiness inside; even when these men would gift me the finest glitters and gold, I felt like a part of me was missing. I then became frantic and felt like I needed security, so I rushed to marry the richest man I met named Tom Buchanan. I loved Tom and I loved the things he bought me, but I was never truly in love with Tom. I was a miserable wife. I was married, yet I felt unhappy and lonely. I missed Gatsby and that is when I realized I never stopped being in love with Gatsby. No matter how hard I tried, nobody would ever fix the rip in my heart that Jay Gatsby tore.

No comments:

Post a Comment